I found the ultimate guide about jailbreaking(removing the DRM) your Kindle & Nook ebooks for your Kindle, Nook and Mobipocket ebooks over here. Or you can get down to it with this quick and dirty summary:
- Download Calibre, a free powerful army swiss-knife on all things ebook. Calibre has conversion tools, ebook library management and even a desktop ebook reader. What it doesn’t have is a UI that doesn’t make you want to scratch the screen with your fingernails. Still, one heck of an app, one that you can easily use to convert most document formats into most ebook formats. Word to epub, pdf to kindle, etc. You name it, and Calibre probably has it.
- Download this set of Calibre plugins(and hurry, who knows how long they’ll stay online) from this address. Unzip the archive.
- In the Calibre app go to Preferences page(the rightmost icon), then to Plugins(in the Advanced section), then select Add a new plugin and chose, one by one, the 5 plugins from the archive you unzipped in the previous step.
- Now, configure each plugin (click Customize for the plugins in the File Plugins section), as follows:(copied from the Apprentice Alf’s Blog page):
- for DRM’ed Mobipocket ebooks you must enter the PID you entered on the retailer’s web site, or the PID of your installation of Mobipocket Reader into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. The PID will be ten numbers and letters, with * or $ as the eighth character. If you have more than one PID, enter them separated by commas
- for Amazon Kindle ebooks that were downloaded to your Kindle, you must enter your Kindle’s serial number into the customisation field of the K4MobiDeDRM plugin. If you have already entered a PID there, add the Kindle serial number as well, separating it from the PID with a comma.
- for Amazon Kindle ebooks that were downloaded to the copy of Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC that was installed on this computer, you do not need to add anything extra into the customisation fields.
- for ePub or PDF ebooks that can be read in Adobe Digital Editions, you do not need to add anything extra into the customisation fields.
- for Nook and all ePub ebooks from Barnes and Noble, you must enter your name and full credit card number into the customisation field of the Ignoble Epub DeDRM plugin. The name and credit card number should be the ones set as part of the Credit Card unlock code on your Nook Library page. Separate the name from the number with a comma and do not put any spaces in the card number or around the comma. For more details, you can check out the related README file from the tools folder you’ve unzipped way above.
- for eReader ebooks from Barnes and Noble or Fictionwise, you must enter your name and the last 8 digits of your credit card number into the customisation field of the eReader PDB 2 PML plugin. Again, the name and credit card number must be the ones entered at your ebook retailer’s website as the DRM key/Unlock code.
- Now, all you need to do is to import your protected ebooks into Calibre, and the DRM will be removed. The plugins ONLY remove the DRM when the ebooks are imported, so if your ebooks have already been imported into calibre you will need to remove them and import them again.
Attention! EPub ebooks bought from Apple iBooks or Microsoft LIT ebooks can’t, for now, be hacked by Calibre.
**Warning/Disclaimer! This blog’s author is not responsible for any damage, lost or other kinds of problems caused by this article. The responsibility of using the above information lies only on the reader. **
foto credits: kodomut